Sunday, June 22, 2008

SOS08 Progress

Above is my progress on my first Summer of Socks (SOS08) sock. I can't believe how much progress I've made in just 2 days!! Being signed up for SOS08 is very motivating. I decided to leave out the last 18 rows of cable repeats in the leg, and therefore shorten the leg to about 4 inches, so I wouldn't risk running out of yarn. These tiny two stitch cables are a bit tricky but I was getting the hang of it towards the end. I'm trying to cable without a cable needle but with just one stitch and the tiny needles, I sometimes had a hard time getting the single stitch back on the needle! It was much easier when holding the stitch to the front as opposed to the back. But, I finally found that if I hold the fabric right below the stitch when I pull it off the needle, I'm able to get it back on much easier. It just takes too long to bother putting a single stitch onto a cable needle, so I'm really trying to do without the cable needle. I think the second sock will go smoother now that I figured out a good technique. I'm probably just going to knit the foot in plain stockinette instead of continuing the cable pattern down the foot.

I do like this pattern (Brigit) and I am happy to be working with Panda Cotton again instead of wool. I think the color of this yarn (Periwinkle) is really pretty too. I may try to knit some more tonight. I just finished the heel flap, so the next step will be turning the heel. I am hoping to finish this pair in time to enter in the first bi-weekly sock contest!

Now, I need to go on Ravelry to see how everyone else is doing!

No comments: