Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Cabled purse progress

Above is the current status of my cabled purse project. I am hoping to finish this before Saturday - the official start to the Summer of Socks!! I have about 4 more inches to go on the cabling body of the purse, but last night I decided to start on the I-cord since I bought my US 6 dpns yesterday. As you can see, I finished one I-cord (folded in half at the top of the photo) and started a 2nd last night. I need to complete 3 to form the braided purse strap.

My Knitting Answer Book is in the photo because I used this to refresh my memory on cabling without a cable needle. I have been using this method and it's been working well for me. I always keep this book by my side when I'm knitting and, as you can see, I have several green sticky notes marking pages I refer to more than once. It's a great resource!!

If you are trying to envision what this purse will look like when complete, I took a photo of the picture on the pattern:
I still need to look for the perfect button to complete it. I will check my button stash first, but I will probably have to go shopping for one.

Here's a close-up of the cables:
This has been a really fun pattern to knit. I love small projects. I have yet to knit a full-size sweater or afghan. That is why I love knitting socks. Even though it's a lot of stitches, there's no assembly or piece-work and I don't even block mine, I just wear them. Just weave in two ends and you're done! This purse shouldn't be too hard to assemble. The pattern does call for a fabric lining so that will be a first for me! But, if I plan on using the purse (which I'd like to!), it will need a lining because the stitches are a bit loose (at least I think they'd loosen up when I put stuff in the purse). I, of course, didn't check my gauge, I just used the recommended needles and cast on. This shouldn't be a problem except that I may have to adjust the size of the fabric piece used for the lining if my gauge ends up off from the pattern. Only time will tell!

Well, I think I will go knit more of this project now since I only have 3 evenings to complete it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I work for www.shopyarn.com. Part of my job is to search blogs to find the latest books and shops throughout the U.S.

On shopyarn.com we are going to add patterns and other knitting related books and would like reviews about them. I saw your blog and would like to ask permission to feature the following quote on our site.

"I always keep this book by my side when I'm knitting and I have several green sticky notes marking pages I refer to more than once. It's a great resource!!"


Thank You,
Margaret
Shopyarn.com
Margaret@directionpress.com