I completed my toe section practice (pictured above) using the "figure-eight" method. I actually ripped out the bit I had done the other day and re-knit from scratch. This method is pretty easy to follow. The end of my toe, where the figure 8 was done, did end up very loose though. I pulled the yarns through to the wrong side to tighten it up and it now looks like this on the inside:
I definitely need to practice this method again to see if I can improve. Those loops at the top are all the extra yarn I had to pull in. I also don't think I was doing the M1 (make 1) increases correctly on the first several rounds because I ended up with pretty big holes where the increases were:
Can you see them along the top? You can kind of tell, that as I got closer to where the needles are, I was doing the increases differently and was able to tighten it up and not have the big holes appearing.
Yeah, I definitely need to practice this again, but this was just a learning experience! Next up, Easy Toe!! I haven't started that one yet, but it seems to be a combination of the first two methods, kind of the best of both worlds. (Suddenly, I am reminded of that quote from Candide that I read in French class in high school - I had to google it! "All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds") OK, back to knitting...
In other knitting news, I did continue knitting the monkey sock last night! On US zero needles, this is becoming the never-ending sock. But, I am making progress. I tried it on for the first time, and I can definitely see the advantages to wool socks. It does make for a nice fit and really shows off the stitch detail:
So, round and round I go as I continue down the foot. I don't know if I'll finish the pair prior to Summer of Socks, but I definitely want to finish this sock!! The second one may have to wait until fall.