Friday, August 29, 2008

another hat

I finished my 2nd hat for Caps for Kids! This is a striped hat that I knit using the "no pattern hat recipe" in Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's book "Knitting Rules".
This was a fun knit because I was sort of "designing" it as I went along. I used Caron Simply Soft yarn leftovers that I had from some scarves I had knit a couple years ago. This hat only took me 2 evenings to knit! (Granted, I probably knit for about 4-5 hours the second night to finish it!)

I cast on 90 stitches on US 7 circular needles and just did K2,P2 ribbing. I changed colors about every 8 rows. When I started the last blue color towards the top, I started decreasing evenly on every other row. Then I switched back to the grey I cast on with and also switched to stockinette (and also switched to double-pointed needles... there was a lot of SWITCHING going on at this point!) and continued to decrease until I had about 8 stitches and then I just pulled the yarn through those stitches and bound off! Then I had to weave in all those ends from the color changes! Not too bad though.

The hat is very stretchy so it should fit almost anyone. And since it's for kids, if it is too long, it can also be worn cuffed up:
Here's what the top of the hat looks like:
I like the way this hat turned out, especially considering that I was working without a pattern (this is rare for me!). Now I just have to decide what new project to cast on tonight!

No comments: