Today, I decided to sign up for the Summer of Socks 2008! I am very excited about this. You can read all about it if you click on the link. This will be my first knitalong (KAL). I participated in a crochetalong back in March and that was a lot of fun. There have been a lot of sock patterns that I want to try and this will be good motivation for me.
As part of the Summer of Socks, there is a contest for knitting the most pairs of socks. Last year's winner knit 42 pairs! I am setting myself the "lofty" goal of 8 pairs and I think that is being pretty ambitious. I was going to round it up to 10, but that would mean I'd have to knit a pair EVERY week and I don't see how I could do that. But, you never know! So, I decided to stick with 8 and the plan is to knit at least a few pairs with some worsted weight yarn (Wick!) because those go much quicker for me. I certainly don't expect to compete in the most socks knit, but I would like to see a lot of sock accomplishments by the end of summer!
I made a list of some socks that I have in mind to knit:
- I'd like to use the Tofutsies yarn I bought in Erie last year
- I'd like to try a Mosaic pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks using this Panda Cotton yarn:
- I want to knit the Periwinkle Panda Cotton yarn using a textured pattern
- I would like to learn how to knit socks toe-up but I don't know if I'll try this or not!
- I would like to get some more Maizy, Wick and Panda Cotton yarn in colors that I can wear to work
My plan from now until Summer of Socks begins is to finish the Sable socks, buy some more sock yarn, and swatch so that I know my gauge. That way, I can get right to knitting on June 21st!