Saturday, May 17, 2008

Happy Saturday!

Well, I have not made any further progress on the Sable sock since the last post, so I have nothing to update there. I am hoping to work on it this weekend and maybe even finish it.

I am still preparing for Summer of Socks 2008 and have found a couple more patterns that I want to try. I was looking at the free sock patterns on the Crystal Palace yarns website since I am planning to knit socks using Maizy and Panda Cotton.

I really like this Cables and Lace pattern especially since I usually make shorter socks. Also, it is a top-down pattern which I prefer. (mainly because I still have not tried toe-up!) If I could just figure out how to do one of the cast-ons for toe-up socks, I'm sure I'd be fine but I have tried without success. Maybe I will attempt it again after I finish the Sable socks. This pattern also calls for using two circular needles and I have always used dpns (double-pointed needles). I'm not a huge fan of circular needles, but I would like to try it for socks just to see if I like it.

The only major project I have done on circular needles was this market bag that I made for a friend of mine last year:
Working that on a circular needle wasn't too bad. I just like knitting socks on dpns because it is a nice small, compact project. With circulars it just seems that they're always sproinging (is that a word??) around!

Anyway, if I knit the Cables and Lace pattern I may try to just use dpns and see how it goes.

I also like this Forget-Me-Not pattern, but I think I would add an inch or so of ribbing at the top instead of the edging used on the sock pictured. I believe this is a suggested option in the pattern and I saw some pictures of socks on Ravelry done this way, and I liked the look of it.

I also want to try the Walking in the Maize pattern for the Maizy yarn I bought.

I'm hoping to go to some local yarn stores next weekend and stock up on some more sock yarn. Should be fun!

No comments: