Saturday, September 27, 2008

Hat photos and new project!

Here are the photos of my finished fair isle hat. I'm so happy with how it turned out!
And here's a photo of the inside to show that I learned how to weave in my carried yarn and my ends. It was such an informative class!
This fair isle project was so much fun that I can't wait to start another project. So I am finally diving in and trying the fair isle vest that I've been wanting to make from the fall 2007 issue of Knit Simple magazine. I have been talking about making this sweater vest since I first saw it, but now that I have the fair isle skills to go with my dreams, I think it is a good time to take on this project!

I took a pic of the magazine photo showing the sweater so you can see what I'm talking about:
That's what I want to make, but not in those colors. I went to yarn-love this morning to sign up for a toe-up sock knitting class and also to browse for yarn to make this vest. I looked around for a long time picking up and putting down lots of different yarn possibilities. I am very picky about the feel of yarn, but I am starting to tolerate the feel of some wools, even ones that I didn't like before. There was a nylon/acrylic yarn that was a good price and had good color choices, but then I didn't know if I'd want to wear a synthetic fiber sweater even if I would like knitting with the yarn.

Then the shop owner pointed out the Kraemer Yarns Tatamy Tweed which is a cotton/acrylic blend. I really liked the feel of the yarn and I saw some colors I really liked. So, I decided to go for it, and bought the Tatamy Tweed in Navy, Sea Blue, and Cherry (red). I wanted a cream color for contrast and had to choose this from Kraemer Yarns Little Lehigh Pebbles line which is basically the same yarn, but in colorways geared more towards baby clothes. Thus, the colorway name of my white yarn... "First Tooth". :-)

So, this is the yarn chosen for my first knit sweater project:
I hope that the tweed is not a distraction for the fair isle. But, I really like this yarn and can't wait to start swatching! Wish me luck!!

No comments: