Sunday, September 28, 2008

Fair Isle swatch and Tofutsies progress

I started knitting a swatch for my fair isle project yesterday. But, I should probably swatch in the round instead of back and forth or it may throw my gauge off. So, I may rip this out and cast on a round swatch using magic loop. As long as I "get gauge", I should be able to use circular needles that I have on hand and not have to buy any. In this small swatch, I was getting 25 stitches over 4 inches and the pattern gauge calls for 23. But, I think I can just adjust the number of stitches I cast on to get the right size because the fair isle pattern repeats are very short.

I do like how this yarn knits up so I think I will be able with the final product. Oh, and I was using red for the swatch because red will only be an accent color in the final sweater, so I didn't have to worry about using up yarn. But, the main color of my sweater will be navy blue.

And in case you're wondering, I am still knitting the Tofutsies sock, but the progress photo is not that exciting:
It's just a bit longer than the last time I posted a photo! I seem to have plenty of yarn in this Tofutsies skein so I may make the legs 8 inches long. Usually my sock legs are about 6 inches because I'm always afraid of running out of yarn before I get to the toe. That's why I am looking forward to the toe-up sock knitting class!!

I will probably swatch the fair isle again, but I won't cast on for the actual sweater until October 1st. This is going to be my first Carefree Holiday or not KAL project!

No comments: